How Much Do I Tip Movers?
Let's face it, moving is stressful, but isn't that one of the reasons why you hired movers? Most people realize just how difficult moving is, notably the physical aspect, once the movers have arrived and begun to load or unload. It's no wonder that one of the most common questions we receive is, "How much should I tip the movers?"
First, we want to make it clear that tipping is not required; but as with most services tipping is a way for the customer to express their thanks for a job well done. While there is no "average tip", it is widely accepted that tipping amounts for movers range from 5% of the total bill to $20 per man. Proper etiquette is to tip each mover individually, not to the foreman or supervisor. This shows that you recognize and appreciate their individual efforts. If you feel that one or two movers worked especially hard, or are more deserving than the others, then feel free to tip that mover a little extra. If the crew has gone above and beyond your expectations you may certainly match their efforts with a larger tip amount. Common "above and beyond" situations include:
- Completing the move in a shorter amount of time than originally estimated.
- Fitting all of your items into the moving truck or POD even though it once looked impossible.
- Moving large quantities of heavy, bulky or awkward furniture. Especially when the movement includes stairs, long walks or other obstacles.
- Excessive stairs, notably 3rd floor apartments and above.
Short on cash? There are plenty of other ways to show your appreciation aside from cash.
- Since moving is a tough, labor intensive service, cold drinks such as bottled water or Gatorade are a great way to show your appreciation while also showing your concern for their well-being.
- Provide the crew with lunch in lieu of a tip.
- If you are planning to throw away old furniture ask the crew if they would like it instead. This saves you time and money and doesn't impact the environment.
In summary, when it comes to tipping there is no right answer, it's best to go with whatever you are comfortable with.