Beat the Heat! New 7am-9am Arrival Window
The summer moving season is approaching quickly and an estimated 20 million Americans will be relocating during the peak months, April-September. While scheduling your movers in advance is important, we wanted to briefly discuss an often forgotten, and just as important, topic - heat. According to The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), 2012 was the hottest year on record and the "second-worst for extreme weather such as hurricanes, droughts or floods."
Schedule Your Move Earlier
Although we cannot change the weather we can modify our policies to be more relevant to the summer months. Effective immediately, customers will now be able to take advantage of our newest, and earliest, arrival window of 7am-9am. Prior to this new offering the earliest arrival window available was 8am-10am. We hope that this earlier arrival window option will allow our movers and customers the ability to take advantage of the cooler morning hours.
Preventing Heat Related Illness
Whether you plan to hire movers to help with your move or do it all yourself, it's important to plan accordingly and take precautions. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), you should follow these tips for preventing heat related illnesses:
- Drink more fluids (nonalcoholic), regardless of your activity level. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink. Warning: If your doctor generally limits the amount of fluid you drink or has you on water pills, ask him how much you should drink while the weather is hot.
- Don’t drink liquids that contain alcohol or large amounts of sugar–these actually cause you to lose more body fluid. Also, avoid very cold drinks, because they can cause stomach cramps.
- Limit your outdoor activity to morning and evening hours.
- Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.
- Try to rest often in shady areas.