Get Paid to Move to Another State in 2022
Working from home always sounded like a dream- and recently it became a reality for many. Before Covid, popular companies like Amazon and Enterprise were already filling work from home positions. Now, since the coronavirus pandemic, it has without a doubt increased the demand and changed the workforce for years to come. Some places are even offering to pay you to move to their state and work remotely!
- Up to $7,500 for moving expenses
Since 2018, Vermont has completed three different worker relocation incentive programs in an effort to attract new residents to the state. The majority of the money awarded from these programs has gone to remote workers.
Building on the success of previous worker incentive programs, ThinkVT just launched a new relocation incentive program in November 2022. The new program will pay approved applicants up to $7,500 for moving expenses if you move to Vermont.
If moving to Vermont is something that interests you then you may be excited to know that the new relocation program isn't only for remote workers. Although eligibility requirements differ, the incentives are open to those that accept an on-premises job with a Vermont employer as well as digital nomads that bring their remote job with them to Vermont.
Workers who are interested in moving to Vermont and would like for Vermont to pay for their move need to meet the incentive eligibility requirements:
- Relocates to Vermont and becomes a full-time resident
- Is subject to Vermont income tax
- Wage for the position equals or exceeds the Vermont livable wage rate. Currently the livable wage rate is $13.39 per hour (this is expected to increase in January 2023)
- Incurred “qualified relocation expenses”
As mentioned previously, there are additional requirements that depend on the type of worker who is applying for the program.
|New Relocating Worker (Taking a Vermont Job)||New Remote Worker (Bring a Remote Job With You)|
|1) Becomes a full-time employee for Vermont employer at a Vermont location |
2) Becomes a full-time employee of a Vermont employer who attests to the Agency that, after reasonable time and effort, they were unable to fill the position from among Vermont applicants
|Is employed full-time for an out-of-state employer and works remotely from a home office or co-working space located in Vermont|
- Up to $40,000 in student loan debt forgiven
If you're a first-time homebuyer with student loan debt then you may want to consider moving to Maine. The $10 million housing initiative from MaineHousing would forgive up to $40,000 of your student loans if you move there and buy a house. Eligibility is open to all students, even those that did not graduate.
The Maine Smart Buy program passed the state Senate in March and is now headed to the House for consideration. It is expected to pass by the end of 2022.
Eligibility requirements for the Maine Smart Buy program include:
- Be a first-time homebuyer.
- Purchase a home valued between $86,600 and $131,100.
- Agree to live in the home for at least five years.
- Maintain the home as your primary residence.
- Have a student-debt balance of between $5,000 and $40,000.
- Not a current Maine resident.
- Have a minimum credit score of 640.
3. West Virginia
- $12,000 cash
- Free recreation and outdoor gear
- Professional development opportunities
- Free coworking space
Lewisburg, West Virginia was the first city in the state to offer a "get paid to move" incentive to remote workers. Applications are no longer being accepted for Lewisburg, but Ascend West Virginia has started to accept applications for three communities throughout West Virginia. You can now apply for this program if you are willing to move to The Greenbrier Valley, Morgantown, or the Eastern Panhandle.
And it is one hell of an offer, especially for the outdoor enthusiasts out there. And while the cash incentive will get a lot of attention, there is a lot more included, putting the total compensation at $20,000!
This is an extraordinarily generous offer that is unmatched by any other program. On top of the hard-to-ignore financial incentive of $12k and all the recreational goodies are free access to coworking space, access to social and networking events, and professional development opportunities ranging from entrepreneurial programs to earning a Remote Manager Certification from the business school at West Virginia University.
Rest assured that this opportunity is going to make headlines quickly, along with a mad dash of work from home applicants. This should not surprise anyone, of course. I have to hand it to the folks at Ascend WV, it's clear that someone in their ranks is an awfully smart cookie.
4. Tulsa, Oklahoma
- $10,000 relocation cash
- Free coworking space in downtown Tulsa
Tulsa Remote is still accepting applications from people who are full-time remote workers or self-employed outside of Oklahoma, and are willing to move to Tulsa within the next 12 months.
Those who take advantage of this amazing offer are eligible to receive $10,000 and free coworking space! This is another place where the cost of living is low so the incentive money will go far. Tulsa is a dynamic city known for a variety of urban districts, exceptional dining, and one of the largest collections of art deco architecture in the nation.
5. Northwest Arkansas
- $10,000 cash or Bitcoin
- Your choice of a street or mountain bicycle, or an annual membership to one of the arts and cultural institutions
Calling all outdoor enthusiasts! With 162 miles of paved trails and 322 miles of world-class mountain biking trails, it's a no-brainer to take advantage of this incentive if you're able. The cost of living is low, so that extra cash will go far.
The Northwest Arkansas Council is accepting applications from people who have a full-time job or are self-employed, currently reside outside of Arkansas, are willing to make the move to Arkansas within the next 6 months, are at least 24 years old, and have at least two years of work experience.
6. Southwest Michigan
- Up to $15,000 toward the purchase of a home
- Any two of these options:
- Car service to and from regional airports for one year
- Annual membership to the Renaissance Athletic Club
- Annual membership to Harbor Shores Driving Range and Practice area
- Two VIP Corporate Hospitality Passes to the 2022 KitchenAid Senior PGA Championship
- Annual pass for the South Shore Rail
- Membership to the The Economic Club of Southwestern Michigan Speaker Series
- One-year co-working space membership
- Annual pass to Berrien County Parks, St. Joseph and Benton Harbor Beaches
Only 90 miles from Chicago, Southwest Michigan is close enough to satisfy the needs of someone who loves the big city but far enough away to give you peace and quiet. If you're a remote worker that is in the market to purchase a home and likes the idea of living in a coastal community with miles of sandy beaches, then Southwest Michigan might be a great opportunity for you!
Move to Michigan is currently accepting applications for this incentive program from people who meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You must provide proof of remote employment outside the state of Michigan.
- You must not be a current Michigan resident.
- You must purchase or build a home with a cost of at least $200,000.
- You must purchase or build a home in one of the following locations: the City of St. Joseph, the City of Benton Harbor, St. Joseph Charter Township, Royalton Township, Benton Charter Township, Oronoko Charter Township, Lake Charter Township, Lincoln Charter Township, or the Village of Stevensville.
- Once moved, you must be considered a full-time Michigan resident (obtain Michigan driver’s license and claim Michigan home as primary residence).
- You must consider volunteering on a non-profit board, in local schools or participating in a civic organization in Berrien County.
7. Rochester, New York
- $10,000 relocation incentive
- Up to $9,000 in homebuyer incentives
Rochester is New York's fourth-largest city, and the Greater Rochester region spans a whopping 9 counties. It's also the nation's 5th ranked city for remote workers and the country's #2 best wine region. If you're a remote worker and looking for a change of scenery, not to mention $10k in your pocket, then Rochester may be for you!
Participants of the Greater ROC Remote program are eligible for up to $19,000 in incentives just for moving to the Greater Rochester region. To be eligible for this relocation incentive you must meet the program requirements:
- Be a full-time remote worker.
- Currently live 300+ miles from downtown Rochester.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be eligible to work in the United States.
- You can relocate to Greater Rochester within 6 months of being accepted by the program.
8. Hamilton, Ohio
- Up to $10,000 to college graduates
The Hamilton Community Foundation offers a Talent Attraction Program (TAP) scholarship to recent college graduates in an effort to attract new residents to the area, which is just north of Cincinnati. Approved applicants will receive $300 per month, up to a maximum of $10,000.
Eligibility requirements for the TAP scholarship include:
- Graduated within the past seven years from a STEAM program (science, technology, engineering, the arts, or mathematics).
- Not currently living in designated areas in the city of Hamilton but with plans to move to one of these areas.
- Have employment within Butler County or a full-time remote position in a professional role.
9. The Shoals, Alabama
- $10,000 cash
The Shoals Area is located in Northwest Alabama and includes the cities of Florence, Muscle Shoals, Sheffield, and Tuscumbia. The area is centrally located and only a 2-hour drive from Birmingham, Nashville, and Memphis.
The Shoals area is the perfect place for remote workers, with affordable real estate, low property taxes, and a low cost of living overall. With a 2019 median housing price of $138,646, the Shoals is one of the most affordable metro areas of its size in Alabama.
Remote Shoals is accepting applications for this cash relocation incentive from people who meet the following eligibility requirements:
- You make $52,000 or more per year.
- You can relocate to the Shoals area within 6 months of being selected.
- You’re employed as a full-time remote employee or self-employed as an independent contractor outside Colbert and Lauderdale counties.
- You’re 18 or older and eligible to work in the United States.
10. Savannah, Georgia
- $2,000 cash to tech workers coming from outside Chatham County
- $20,000 in grants to businesses that create at least 5 new tech jobs
This history-rich city is catching the eye of people of all ages. Although the coronavirus pandemic has made this seem more like a new norm, Savannah has always offered to-go cocktails! History and cocktails... need I say more? If you have a job in the tech industry and you are willing to commit to a year of living in the oldest city in Georgia, you may be eligible for this incentive. Visit Savannah Technology Workforce Incentive for details and information on how to apply for this program.
11. Baltimore, Maryland
- $5,000 down payment
- Closing cost assistance
- 5-year forgivable loan
Baltimore knows it needs to invest in its community to improve the crime rates. If you're a future home-buyer this program reduces the amount of money you’ll need up-front to buy your home. It may not be your first choice of places to live, but you can be a part of the change!
12. Topeka, Kansas
- Up to $15,000 for on-site employees or up to $10,000 for remote workers
The Choose Topeka program is designed to attract talented professionals to Topeka and Shawnee County. The program is open to people moving to Topeka to take a full-time "on site" position, as well as remote workers, as long as their employer is located outside of Shawnee County.
Applicants that are moving to Topeka for an on site position can receive up to $10,000 for renting and up to $15,000 for buying a home.
If you are a remote worker you can receive up to $5,000 for renting and up to $10,000 for if you purchase a home.
13. Lincoln, Kansas
- Free land! Lots ranging in size from 12,000 to 35,000 square feet
Looking to build your dream home? Lincoln, Kansas may be your spot! On top of the free land, the quality of life, low cost of living, low crime, and good schools make it a prime place to start a family.
14. Newton, Iowa
- Up to $10,000 cash to new homebuyers
- A "Get to Know Newton" welcome package valued at $3,000
The median cost of a home is 105k, resulting in the cost of living being extremely affordable. Friendly neighborhoods with good education and low crime make this a brilliant place for young families to grow old.
Visit the Newtown Housing Development Corporation for additional information about their housing initiative, and to see if you are eligible.
15. Mattoon, Illinois
- $5,000 cash towards moving expenses
- Free coworking space for one year
- 6 months free 1GB internet
- 6 months free Family YMCA Membership
- 6 months free self storage
- $2,555 in gift cards to local businesses
- $500 in local restaurant vouchers
Mattoon is a small city located in Central Illinois. The city is located 2-3 hours from major cities like St. Louis, Chicago and Indianapolis, and 4 hours from Louisville and Cincinnati.
Mattoon offers a small town feel, affordable housing, access to the outdoors, and a dedication to education and career growth. Combine these amazing amenities with a total moving incentive of $11,703 and it's easy to see why relocating to Mattoon is an attractive proposition.
To be eligible to apply for the Move to Mattoon relocation incentive you must meet the program requirements:
- You currently live over 100 miles away from Mattoon, IL
- You commit to moving to Mattoon, IL and living within the city limits for at-least two years
- You are a remote worker that works for a company. Gig-workers (ex: Uber) and self-employed individuals are not eligible
- Your personal income is over $45,000
- You agree to provide employment and residency documentation in order to determine eligibility
16. Southern Indiana
- $5,000 relocation cash
- A free checking account with a $250 bonus at Springs Valley Bank & Trust
- The choice of two of these gifts: a behind-the-scenes tour of the Patoka Lake Winery, a visit to the Wilstem Ranch Drive-Through Safari, a one-year season pass to West Boggs Park, or Tickets for two to attend a dinner and a musical show at Abbeydell Hall in French Lick
The Choose Southern Indiana relocation program consists of four counties: Dubois, Orange, Daviess, and Greene. These Southern Indiana counties are centrally located between major cities like St. Louis, Louisville, Indianapolis, and Nashville.
Southern Indiana has small-town charm, affordable housing, family-friendly activities, golf, and a Vegas-style casino. For outdoor enthusiasts you'll also have access to Indiana's finest State Parks, Hoosier National Forest, vast caving systems, and lots of rivers and lakes for fishing and boating.
To be eligible for the Southern Indiana relocation incentive you must meet the program requirements:
- Must currently reside outside the state of Indiana
- Must be willing to move to Southern Indiana within 6 months
- Must be willing to stay in Southern Indiana for at least two years
- Must be a fully remote worker
- Must have a minimum household income of $40,000
- Residents of Alaska receive an annual dividend just for living there
The Permanent Fund Dividend pays royalties to residents annually through a dividend. For 2021 Alaska residents were paid $1,114 each.
Alaska is known for some of the world’s best seafood and unlimited outdoor activities, attracting foodies and outdoorist alike! Alaska needs to build its population to help its economy grow, so they offer a wide range of incentive programs on top of already not having a state tax.
Need Help Moving?
Have you ever heard of moving labor help? You don't need to spend all of your incentive money in one place on full-service movers. Whether you're moving locally or long distance, hiring moving help is a more affordable alternative.
If you want to move but don't want to do the heavy lifting, you can opt for a DIY move. It's as easy as renting a moving truck or POD, then using a moving helper marketplace to compare labor help for local movers who will help professionally load and unload your belongings at each location.