You're moving soon and you have a side-by-side or french door refrigerator (SBS for short), a pretty common appliance these days. Because side-by-side refrigerators can vary greatly in size, weight and bulkiness we often need to know just how large your refrigerator really is. Understanding the size will allow us to accurately determine how many movers are required for it to be moved safely. To make this process as easy as possible we have outlined several different methods to help you determine the size of your SBS fridge.
What Am I Looking For?
When trying to find the size of your refrigerator it is important to understand what number you are actually looking for. Refrigerators are measured by their cubic feet (CuFt), this number will most commonly range from 10-35. For SBS and french door refrigerators this number will likely be at least 18.
Where Do I Look?
The first place to look is inside the refrigerator itself, there should be a relatively accessible label that has specifications listed. Although the majority of newer refrigerators will clearly define the size on the label, not all will. If your refrigerator does not specify the size on this label you should take the following alternative steps.
- Look at the model number. More often than not the refrigerator size will be in the model number itself. For example, model number XYZ18 tells us that this refrigerator is 18 CuFt.
- If your model number does not clearly designate a size you can probably find the specifications by searching online.
- If you've exhausted all options and still cannot find the size, don't fret, a solution still exists. Grab a tape measure and measure the width, depth and height of the inside of your refrigerator. Multiply the numbers together (W x D x H) and divide the total by 1728 to get the cubic feet. For example, if you have a refrigerator that measures 30" wide by 30" deep by 48" high, you multiply 30 X 30 X 48. This gives you 43200. You then divide 43200 by 1728 to get cubic feet. In this case we get 25 which would be a good sized side-by-side refrigerator.
I've Found the Size, Now What?
Now that we know the size of your SBS or french door refrigerator we can accurately determine how many movers will be required to move it safely.
- SBS Refrigerators Up To 22 CuFt: 2 Movers can safely handle a refrigerator up to 22 CuFt.
- SBS Refrigerators Over 22 CuFt: 3 Movers are required unless the customer provides an appliance dolly. If an appliance dolly is provided 2 Movers can safely move the item. See our equipment policy for more information about the types of tools and dollies we provide.