When it comes time to move, you have a few options: you can do it yourself, hire movers, or go with a hybrid option. Which is the best choice for you? That depends on your budget, time frame, and how much help you have.
In this article, we'll discuss the pros and cons of each option so that you can make an informed decision during the moving process. We'll also highlight some benefits of hiring professional movers and show you why they might be worth the investment.
Is It Better to Hire Movers or Move Yourself?
If you have a lot of stuff to move then hiring movers might be the best option. Professional movers can get the job done quickly and efficiently, but this is also the most expensive option.
However, if you want to save money, have a lot of time to spare, and have friends and family that are willing to help, you might consider doing it yourself.
Alternatively, you might want to consider a hybrid move. With this option you do some of the move yourself, like packing your stuff, but you hire moving help to take care of all the heavy lifting. The cost of hiring moving helpers by the hour is very affordable, typically $30-$40 an hour for each mover. So, with a hybrid move you'll spend a little more than doing everything yourself, but you'll save yourself the hassle of having to move heavy furniture as well as load and unload your moving truck.
Benefits to Hiring Movers
There are many benefits to hiring a moving company for help loading and unloading your belongings, including:
- They're fast and efficient: A professional moving company knows how to get the job done quickly. They'll also take care of all the heavy lifting, so you won't have to.
- They're insured: Most professional moving companies are insured, which means they will cover your belongings in case something is damaged.
- Experienced movers: Professionals in the moving industry have a lot of experience, and they know how to handle different situations.
- It creates a stress-free moving experience: Hiring professionals can take a lot of the stress out of moving. You won't have to worry about moving heavy furniture yourself or if your friends and family will show up to help out.
- Packing services: Many professional moving companies can also pack up your home for you. This can be a great option if you're short on time or not sure how to pack your belongings properly.
- Moving supplies: Local moving companies will have all the supplies you need for your move, including boxes, tape, moving blankets, shrink wrap, and more.
- Specialty items: If you have any specialty items, such as a piano or pool table, hiring a professional is the best option. They have the experience and the equipment to move these items safely.
- Heavy furniture: Heavy, bulky, or awkard items are challenging to move, but moving companies know how to handle them with ease.
Are Movers Worth It?
Only you can answer this question. A professional mover can make your life easier, but they're not cheap. If you're on a tight budget, you might consider doing it yourself. However, if you have the money to spare and want to make sure your move goes smoothly, hiring professionals is worth it.
Questions to ask yourself when you are choosing between a full-service moving company, DIY, or a hybrid option are:
- How much stuff do you have to move?
- How much time do you have to move?
- Do you have friends and family that can help?
- How much money are you willing to spend on your move?
- Are you moving to somewhere in the same city, or is it a long-distance move?
- How much will a truck rental cost?
- Are you willing to drive a moving truck (think U-Haul)?
- Do you have packing materials, or will you need to buy them?
How To Hire Professional Movers
To find the best moving company, ask the following questions:
- What services are included?
- How much will it cost?
- Are there any discounts or promotions?
- Are there any additional fees?
- What does your insurance cover?
- When will you be able to make the move?
- Are they BBB accredited?
Once you've found a company you're interested in, read company reviews and check out their website.
Get VIP Service at MovingLabor.com
We know that hiring a moving company can be stressful and time-consuming, so we created our mover marketplace to make it easy for you to find and compare local moving companies. Simply search your zip code and you can see all moving helpers that are available to load and unload your moving truck in your area.
One of the best things about our mover marketplace is that it allows you to get help where you need it but save money by doing some parts of the moving process. For instance, if you have friends and family to help you load your truck or container you can hire movers by the hour for just the unload.
More benefits of booking your move help on MovingLabor.com include:
No Surprise Fees
With our price lock feature, the rate you see is the price you pay.
Some movers charge extra for stairs, long walks, or gas. With MovingLabor.com, there are never any surprises because the price is locked in from the start. You can trust that the price you see on MovingLabor.com is the final price. There are no hidden fees or surprises.
Vetted and Background Checked Helpers
All of the moving companies in our network are thoroughly vetted by our team. Many of the movers listed with us are also background checked. You can trust that the local mover you hire is reliable, experienced, and will take good care of your belongings.
When you're planning a move, it's easy for things to change.
That's why we offer a flexible cancellation policy. If you need to cancel or reschedule, you can do so without penalty up to seven days before your move date. If your plans change less than a week before your move, we offer flexible, no-fee rescheduling options.
You're moving, and you're worried about your belongings. What if they get damaged during the move?
With MovingLabor.com, you don't have to worry about a thing. All moving companies listed on our platform offer complimentary basic damage coverage, so if an item is damaged by the movers, it's covered.
VIP Customer Support
Are you having problems planning your move? What if something goes wrong? Our Customer Support team is here to help!
We're available to answer your questions, help you find local moving companies, and make sure your move goes smoothly from start to finish.
We hope this article has helped you decide if hiring a full-service moving company, DIY, or a hybrid option is the right choice for you. Visit MovingLabor.com to get started on your next move. We make it easy to find and compare moving companies so you can get the best possible service at a price that fits your budget.