When is Peak Moving Season? 
Peak moving season occurs in the summer, with 80% of all moves in the United States occurring between April and September. Why is summer the busiest time of year to move? While there are several reasons, the main factor is that kids are off from school. When school is out movers are typically in high demand.
Okay, So When is the Best Time to Move?
Certainly not the summer. You can save money and reduce your moving related stress if you relocate in non-peak months, which is typically October through March. If you absolutely have to move during peak season then the best time to hire movers is going to be at the very beginning or very end of moving season. Scheduling your movers for early to mid April or in September after Labor Day is a great way to accomplish this.
Tips for Moving During Peak Season
The best approach when moving during the summer is to book your moving help as far in advance as possible, preferably months in advance. It's important to be aware that all dates, even most weekdays, will be in high demand during this time. You'll find yourself at an advantage if you schedule your movers for the days that are slightly less in demand.
Here are the best peak season moving tips to help make your summer move as successful as possible:
- June, July and August are the busiest months
- The beginning and end of each month has the greatest demand
- Morning time slots are the most desired and first to get booked up
- Weekends are the most sought after days for moving
- Memorial Day Weekend (and the surrounding days) are some of the most demanded days
- Schedule at least two weeks in advance (but preferably much further in advance) to have a chance at the best availability options
- Dates before Memorial Day and after Labor Day are less busy
- Weekdays are busy, but have less demand than weekends
2022 Moving Season (Heat Map)
The heat map calendar below shows how much demand is expected for moving companies on each day of the 2022 peak moving season.