When is Peak Moving Season?
Okay, So When is the Best Time to Move?
Certainly not the summer. Your move can cost significantly less if you relocate in non-peak months, which is typically October through March. If you absolutely have to move during peak season then the best time to hire movers is going to be at the very beginning or very end of moving season. Scheduling your movers for early to mid April or in September after Labor Day is a great way to accomplish this.
When is the busiest moving day of the year?
Saturday, June 27th will most likely be the busiest moving day in 2020. How did we arrive at this conclusion? I'm glad you asked. June and July are the two busiest months for moving, and the last weekend of the month (any month, not just during the busy season) has the highest demand for movers and moving related services. Since 2010, there has only been one time that the busiest moving day wasn't in either June or July. So why did June win over July? It's very simple - June 27th is closer to the end of the month than Saturday, July 25th, and the number of people moving increases daily as the month comes to an end.
2020 Moving Season (Heat Map)
Tips for Moving in Peak Season
The best approach when moving during the summer is to book your moving help as far in advance as possible, preferably months in advance. it's important to be aware that all dates, even most weekdays, will be in high demand during this time. You'll find yourself at an advantage if you schedule your movers for the days that are slightly less in demand.
Here are the best peak season moving tips to help make your summer move as successful as possible:
- June, July and August are the busiest months
- The beginning and end of each month has the greatest demand
- Morning time slots are the most desired and first to get booked up
- Weekends are the most sought after days for moving
- Memorial Day Weekend (and the surrounding days) are some of the most demanded days
- Schedule at least two weeks in advance (but preferably much further in advance) to have a chance at the best availability options
- Dates before Memorial Day and after Labor Day are less busy
- Weekdays are busy, but have less demand than weekends
And that pretty much sums it up! The moral of the story? Avoid moving in the summer. Hiring movers in non-peak months will save you money and reduce your moving related stress.
Want more moving tips? Check out our guide Tips for Moving During the Summer.