The United States Census Bureau confirms that the summertime is indeed the busiest time of the year for household moving. The US Census Bureau shows that 48.4% of all moves annually take place between June and September, and another large chunk taking place in May. This means that each year around 65% of all household moves take place in these five months, leaving 35% of moves to occur in the remaining seven months. The moral of this story: Plan ahead if you are going to be hiring movers between May and September.
To help you plan your summer move we have outlined some tips that will increase your chances of a successful move and reduce your overall moving costs:
Avoid the Most Demanded Dates
Weekends and the ends of the month are the busiest times to move no matter what season it is. If you have flexibility in your relocation plans then try to move on a weekday or during the middle of the month. If possible avoid Memorial Day Weekend (the 2nd busiest moving weekend of the year) and the last weekend in July (the busiest moving weekend of the year). Check out our peak moving season heat map for a day by day look at the demand for movers.
Book Your Move Help ASAP
While the average person will book their move help only 8 days in advance, you should consider making your reservation much earlier. This is especially true for customers moving on the last weekend of the month or on a holiday weekend such as Memorial Day.
Book Your Moving Truck Early
Rental truck prices, as well as portable storage and freight services, are based on supply and demand. Although the prices will always be higher in the summer than in the winter your pricing may be much lower if you book in advance. Most of these companies do not require a deposit to reserve their services so it can only benefit you in the long run. Take your savings further with truck rental discounts from top-quality companies like Penske Truck Rental.
Be A Strategic Planner
Resources for moving can be scarce during the summer months so have a contingency plan and confirm often. When reserving a truck rental many times customers will also reserve furniture padding, these pads are extremely important for your move. Although pads are reserved online most truck rental companies do not track the number of their pads available and can sell out before you arrive to pick up your truck. Make sure you call the location where you will be picking your truck up at and speak with a manager, make sure he/she is aware of how many pads you need so that they can order them from corporate if they do not have them in stock.
Give Yourself A Buffer
If you are utilizing a freight service such as ABF U-Pack or Broadway Express make sure you allow a buffer between the time you schedule your movers and the anticipated arrival of your trailer. Let's face it, delivery windows for most carriers are often incorrect and can be frustrating if you do not allow a buffer. If the freight company has provided you with a window of 8am-12pm for delivery you should not schedule movers until at least 1pm, even later if possible.